Tracing the startup process, reading a MD file ("gvim -V readme.md") I noticed
that two HTML files were sourced: my own one in %VIM\.vim\syntax, plus the
original (unchanged) one in %VIM\syntax (rtp only contains the stems of these
two paths).
This is due to the "runtime!" (mind the exclamation mark) command in
markdown.vim. Removing the "!" avoids the "error", so my posted suggestion was
wrong.
In fact, the error is a result of other files, e.g. vb.vim, css.vim, js.vim
also being sourced by the original html.vim file (which btw. uses "syntax
include" commands to source its dependent files).

Therefore, the question stands: does it make any sense to use "runtime!"
(instead of "syntax include") here, given the possibility that s.o. (like me)
completely rewrites a bunch of syntax files (in his own, private path)? Is this
common practice (which would implicate that I also would have to rewrite any
other syntax file that possibly sources "my" files?