On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Matěj Cepl <mc...@cepl.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> would it be possible to do something about display of the soft
> hyphen character (U+00AD)? I tried to use it in my rST file, but
> ended up with a blank space. So I filed a bug against the font
> I use (https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode/issues/365), but
> maintainer of the font (unfortunately correctly, IMO) closed it
> as NOTABUG.
>
> I think adding new item 'shy' to the possible keys of listchars
> variable should be a good solution, what do you think?
>
> Best,
>
> Matěj

Note that Vim does not make any difference between &shy; at the end of
a line as it ends up in (let's say) the output of an HTML display
engine, and &shy; in the middle of a line (where it will be hidden in
the same output). Either you use the conceal feature to hide it
everywhere, or it is occupies one character cell everywhere.

This said, IMHO it might be useful to let the user display it as a
recognizable character of his/her choice, like Vim already does for
&nbsp; etc. In the meantime, putting the cursor on the character
concerned and hitting ga will tell you that it is a soft-hyphen (0xAD
in Latin1, U+00AD in UTF-8 etc.) and not something else. Or if you
have (as I do) a custom 'statusline' including the %B field, just
placing the cursor on it would be enough.

Best regards,
Tony.