gvim 8.0.1658 with GTK2/Gnome GUI
$VIM/vimfiles/plugin/unicode.vim 0.21 according to both the script and
the help. (I ran :UseVimball manually to put the script where I wanted
it.)

:UnicodeName on a Cyrillic letter followed by a combining character
(e.g. U+0435 CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER IE followed by U+0301 COMBINING
ACUTE ACCENT) displays only one answer line, with the Cyrillic letter
(without the accent) in alpha at far left but the rest of the details
of the combining character. Vim correctly displays both glyphs in one
character cell (in the body of the text) with the 'guifont' I use, set
by ":set gfn=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 8".

When using a Latin letter instead of a Cyrillic one (e.g. U+0065 LATIN
SMALL LETTER E followed by U+0301 COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT, giving
almost exactly the same compound glyph) two answer lines are
displayed, one for each character, which is the expected result.

Executing :UnicodeDownload doesn't change this behaviour. It does
create or update a 1.7*10^6 byte, 31618 line file named
$VIM/vimfiles/autoload/unicode/UnicodeData.txt whose contents looks OK
AFAICT.

I wonder what went wrong.

Best regards,
Tony.