Hi Jürgen,

> Is at least one directory in you runtimepath writable?

As far as I can tell, they should all be writable (I usually start Vim from
an Administrator cmd session).
As a matter of fact, "zg" worked fine at least up to March 20. I update
regularly Vim, through the nightly distribution and through recompiling
under Ubuntu. The nightly build Vim update, of course, would fail if I had
no proper authorizations.
I also regularly update Windows (I am in Windows Insiders). Maybe the thing
is WIndows related.
We could put this on hold, and I will try again with the next version of
Windows.

And, always as far as I can tell, both in the WIndows and in the Ubuntu
environments, "spellfile" gets a value only AFTER I give a "zg" command.
>From that side, maybe the problem is in some Windows related "ifdef". I
will try and see if I can get to it.
Also, I am not aware of any plugin that deals with "spellfile" (I am not in
the "plugin" business, per se, but I gladly accept what comes with the Vim
distribution).

Thanks and all the best, Antonio

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_dev/CAFuJYvtpE%2BRFYRbEaE9T%3Dz7DHM0%2BHa%3DP2D5-FiHU7jj0kiHJ5Q%40mail.gmail.com.