On 2 April 2011 11:49, Ben Schmidt wrote:
> On 2/04/11 7:07 PM, björn wrote:
>>
>> On 1 April 2011 19:29, Tom wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it more or less easy to add an option to blur the transparent
>>> background like in OS X native (Dock Stacks) and other Cocoa (iTerm)
>>> aps?
>>> It would more fit to the 10.6+ GUI.
>>
>> I don't know how this is done.  If its not a major addition I'd accept
>> a patch however, in case anybody feels like implementing this.
>
> I don't know what this blurring is exactly, but on the surface I don't like
> the idea. If I make my window transparent, it's because I'm trying to look
> at something behind it, and having it blurred would be tremendously
> unhelpful.

Maybe I should have been clearer: I don't think replacing the current
transparency with a blurred background would be a good idea because I
am guessing most people would agree with Ben on this issue (myself
included).  (To be honest, I'm not a big fan of transparent
backgrounds as it is, although I do have "au FocusLost * set
transp=10" and "au FocusGained * set transp=0" in my gvimrc.)

However, if somebody wants to write a patch which optionally enables
such a feature and if sufficiently many people want the patch merged
and finally if it is a "simple" patch, then I will consider merging
it.

In my mind this type of feature is a little bit too much in the
direction of the suggestion of being able to set a background picture,
so its not exactly on the top of my most wanted additions.  (I'm of
course open to arguments to convince me otherwise.)

Björn