@andy: by default, ESC is remapped to the backslash.

On the question of plugins, syntax files, etc., I haven't had too much of a
chance to play with this, and I left my wireless keyboard at the office, so
I'm a bit hampered for the rest of the weekend. But it seems to find the
.vimrc I created in my $HOME directory without any trouble. The only
trouble is that you can't upload dot files via iTunes, so if you want to
use an existing .vimrc, you'll have to rename it to .vimrc after you've
copied it over. You can do this by using netrw's rename command (hit 'R'
while the cursor is within the filename).

There is a .vim folder there too. I'm not sure what the best way is to get
plugins into the .vim folder: it doesn't show up in iTunes, and you can't
copy folders over using iTunes. I tested a simple plugin by copying it
over, creating .vim/plugin from within vim using netrw, and then coping the
plugin into .vim/plugin/. The plugin works.

I suspect there is no support for python or ruby plugins, and I suspect
plugins that call external cli tools are out, so we are limited to "pure"
vimscript plugins. It would be neat of there is a way, within these
limitations, to unarchive a folder. If so, there would be a reasonable way
to install plugins. If not, we have to wait until we have better file
transfer options, I assume.

David