On Feb 26, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Axel Kielhorn wrote:

> Am 26.02.2012 um 17:19 schrieb Eric Weir:
>
>> On Feb 25, 2012, at 4:16 PM, retiredff wrote:
>>
>>> On my Mac, any new fonts I put here:
>>>
>>> ~/Library/Fonts/
>>
>> I guess I should be more specific. I'm told the gyre fonts are 'open type
>> fonts.' Is this where I should put that that type of font?
>
> You are using a Mac, right?
>
> Why don't you select all the fonts, right click, open with FontBook.
> This will give you some windows, one for each font family and an option to
> install the fonts.
>
> In FontBook you can choose whether to install on the computer (=for all
> users) or for the current user.
>
> BTW, you can only use the monospaced fonts with MacVim.

Thanks, Axel. And thanks especially for mentioning MacVim. Made me realize I
posted to the wrong list. The fonts I'm installing are tex/latex utf8 fonts. I
meant to post to the tex-mac group. After downloading and unpacking one set of
fonts I'm pretty certain that ~/library/fonts is not the place to put them.
Looks like they don't go to any one place, but rather to be distributed over
several locations.

Thanks again,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA