On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 03:05:43PM EST, Shawn H Corey wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:

> > I try to stick to just one vim instance and basically never quit..
> >
> > What I do is that I periodically take a look at my buffer list and
> > issue a bunch of :bw commands for those buffers I know I won't need
> > in the foreseeable future.

> Gvim allows the window to be split vertically.  This allows me to view
> different files (or two places in the same file) at the same time.
> It's useful in coordinating programs.  For example, you could have the
> variables in one side (which are frequency at the top of the file) and
> the subroutines in another.  For languages like C, there is often two
> files, file_n.h and file_n.c that have to agree.

Sure, but I often have to access 5-6 (or more) related files, certainly
more than what I could display concurrently on my display. And that's
where the :buffers/:ls commands really come in handy, especially
associated with Ctrl-O.

The only problem, is that after a while the buffer list in a long
running instance of vim may become so large as to be unmanageable.

As a result, when I notice that there are more than, what.. maybe twenty
five or thirty buffers in my list, I take a break from what I'm doing
and purge whatever I'm not likely to need any time soom via the :bd or
:bw commands.

I have experimented with the Buffer Explorer plugin, that makes things a
bit more user-friendly, but I'm not sure yet whether I want to become
dependent on yet another plugin.

CJ