Users knowing VAM can skip this post.

> vim Desktop/CheckAttach-0.9.vba
> :so %

You already lost time be "downloading" the .vba file. VAM will magically
know where to fetch "CheckAttach" from. So you can say on irc: Get
CheckAttach .. and that's it.

> I'm left wondering what practical need there might be for any kind of
> "plugin management system"?
Example: vim-haxe:
https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-haxe/blob/master/vim-haxe-addon-info.txt

Have a look at the "dependencies" section:

"vim-addon-mw-utils": {},
"tlib": {},
"vim-addon-views": {},
"vim-addon-actions": {},
"vim-addon-goto-thing-at-cursor": {},
"vim-addon-background-cmd": {},
"vim-addon-completion": {},
"vim-addon-swfmill": {},

  So mw-utils provides a function caching the result of reading files to
  speed up working

  vim-addon-views provides a way to use buffer urls to provide special
  content (its also used in my git plugin)

  vim-addon-actions: provides an abstraction to bind an action to etiher
  - buf write action
  - key press action
  easily while allowing you to add additional command line arguments to
  the compiler.

  vim-addon-goto-thing-at-cursor provides something similar to gf which
  can be scripted in VimL - and also opens files if they don't exist
  (saving you time)

  vim-addon-background-cmd: hacky solution to run compilers in background
  using client-server feature.

  vim-addon-completion: provides camel case matching and some more.

  tlib: I use only the fabulous function selecting items from a list.

Now most of those "fetaures" are not only used by vim-haxe but also by
other plugins. If you try to get vim-haxe VAM will fetch all those
dependencies for you automatically. Then you feel the difference :)

Before VAM plugin authors had to make a dicision:
- duplicate code - and it works
- reference code - users have to read docs and follow instructions.

If the latter way "reference code" is used more often by plugin devs
this naturally also leads to more code review thus better plugin thus
improved overall value for the community.

> Given your advice that (paraphrased for my case) removal of the
> installed .vim/ftplugin/mail_CheckAttach.vim effects an uninstall, then
Those plugins having only one file are boring :) Let's talk about things
like vim-latex (don't recall its exact name). They have 10 and more
files.

> As for "all the files nice and tidy in their own directory", it seems
> that it all ends up in ~/.vim, so that requirement is satisfied without
> further ado, also, innit?
try updating something like the latex plugin :) Then you wonder: Which
files belonged to it at all?

Marc Weber