On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:00 AM, John Beckett <johnb.beck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ben Fritz wrote:
>> I know I can use the "chcp" command in a cmd.exe shell to
>> output the current encoding, so prior to patch 203, I had a
>> system() command which grabs the output of this command in my
>> .vimrc. However, as a side effect, every time I launch Vim
>> with this call in the .vimrc, a cmd.exe window flashes.
>
> This works on my Windows system (with no extra window):
>  :let output=system('chcp')
>  :echo matchstr(output, '\d\+')
>
> I guess it works because chcp is an external program.

I still see it flash, even with gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE. However,
today for some reason it flashes much faster, and I don't see the cmd
window actually appear on the screen...I only see the flash in my task
bar. It's mainly noticeable because I have two rows of tasks showing,
and adding the extra cmd window re-arranges the items briefly.

I get about the same results (visually) from:

:call system('chcp')
:!start /min cmd /c chcp (actually this cmd windows disappears a little faster)

But no window at all (as expected) from:

:!start /b cmd /c chcp (but as noted this method is not usable)

This is only a minor annoyance in terms of functionality...but I'd
really like to know why it happens and whether there's a workaround.