On Jul 9, 2011, at 7:21 PM, ZyX wrote:

> Reply to message «Re: Plugin/addon managers»,
> sent 03:01:53 10 July 2011, Sunday
> by Eric Weir:
>
>> You recommend cloning from git for users of git. I know git as a repository
>> of plugins, addons, scripts, etc. I get the sense it's much more than
>> that. Also that "using" it involves much more than downloading plugins,
>> etc. and associated files. And that it's probably not something I need to
>> get involved with, i.e., that I would be getting in way over my head [I am
>> not a programmer], that it's not something I need, other than as a
>> repository of plugins, etc.
> If you are not going to modify plugins all you need to know about git is that
> it
> should be on your system. I personally suggest not to do that: you may find
> out
> that dev version (which will be installed if you have required SCM (which is
> git
> for most plugins)) is broken compared to release. Though you will also find
> out
> that SCM version has some bug fixes that are not in latest release yet.

Thanks for the answers to all my questions, ZyX. For all the power of the
addon, the installation and use sound pretty straightforward. [Easy to say now.
Wait till I start trying to install and use it.]

About git I understand you to be saying I should have it, but I should wait.
Actually, you said it should "be on my system." Something somewhere recently
suggested that I might need to have a server to use it. Is that the case, or is
it just a matter of installing the software it requires on my system.

>> Installation instructions give some code to be added to your vimrc. I
>> thought I wasn't ever supposed to do anything to vimrc, only vimrc.
> What does «supposed to do anything to vimrc, only vimrc» mean?

I would have sworn I put a period before that second vimrc. Anyway, it should
be .vimrc, not vimrc.

And thanks again,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA