Marc Weber wrote:
Vim syntax has far too many inconsistencies for me to remember.
Just the fact that "\" doesn't always quote the next char -- trying
to remember all of it's exceptions is not possible for me.

You could write a substitute command once makeing it little bit more
consistent - maybe you can even write a "translate perl to vim syntax"
for the most often used use cases.
Um, forgive me kind sir, for your generous offer, but might I suggest
that suggesting to someone who doesn't know all the exceptions and
syntax, to write an extension to automatically map such exceptions
and syntax into a more regular form might be a bit like having the
cart before the horse, not to mention, I've been told vim doesn't
have the same capabilities, so writing such would be an exercise of
great frustration...

Thanks,
;-/
-linda