On 01/23/12 14:57, Chris Jones wrote:
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:42:51PM EST, Tim Chase wrote:
     let item = histget(getcmdtype(), -1)

Unless I missed something, I don't think this is going to work, because
you need a variable to keep track of where you are in the history across
Alt+period keyboard actions.. (?)

I think the answer to your question is the "-1" in the histget() call which gets the most recent history entry. If you use a positive number, it starts from 1 through however many history items you have. If you use a negative index, it starts indexing the most-recently-entered-command end of the history (same as for arrays).

  :help history-indexing
  :help list-index

The exception I could see would be if you knew that you were only interested in certain types of Ex commands (in your contemporaneous message, your "g:cmdlist") and would thus want to search backwards in your history until you hit such a command and use *that* command to pull from rather than the most recent Ex command.

-tim