Is it possible for you to turn off the HTML formatting in whatever client
you're using? It isn't translating properly on the Google Groups interface. I
don't know what it looks like in an email.

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:50:34 PM UTC-5, xxx wrote:

> I am in cygwin and trying to use windows native gvim (I don't even have
> gvim in cygwin, just vim). I am using gvimdiff.bat to launch gvim with the
> files.

OK, so I'm going to assume that somehow cygwin knows how to run *.bat files.

> Like I said before the problem would be around the fact that any shell
> command started from the gvim instance launched from cygwin gives the error
> /bin/bash -c "diff -v"
> The system cannot find the path specified.
> sheell returned 1
>
> which means it is trying to use the bash to run these commands when it maybe
> should run cmd, but I don't know how to fix this.

My guess:

You started a native-windows Vim from a cygwin shell. So Vim thinks the shell
is whatever cygwin has it set to. However, once the native Vim is running
outside of the cygwin environment, none of the cygwin paths are valid anymore.
Vim doesn't know how to interpret /cygpath/c or /bin/bash or any of that.
Native Windows Vim speaks native Windows file paths.

You MIGHT be able to fix this by setting the 'shell' option, and possibly also
'shellquote', 'shellxquote', and optionally 'noshellslash'. But I'm not sure.
Your best bet would be not to call native Windows applications from cygwin.

You might also be able to set 'diffexpr' to a function which will select the
correct diff, and also translate the paths passed in by cygwin.