Hi vim users,

I can't figure out a problem with utf-8 in (g)vim. I would like to use
utf-8 as encoding but the status line changes when I do that (set
encoding=utf-8) and german Umlaute are not displayed correctly any more.
There is some odd character representation shown, e.g. <e4> instead of ä.
Strangely though this seems to be a problem only for the lower case
letters. If I hit i for insert mode the status line changes to EINFÜGEN
(german for INSERT), which is correct.
When I reencode to latin1 everything is back with Umlaut.

Is there a way to get correctly displayed Umlaute with utf-8 in the status
line?
Thanks,
John
--