On 12.10.15 08:23, Paul wrote:
> On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 6:17:38 AM UTC-4, Erik Christiansen
> wrote:
> > What I'm using is just:
> >
> > " Cursor Appearance and behaviour:
> > " (Insert_Mode == Green, Normal_Mode == Red)
> > if &term =~ "xterm"
> >    let &t_SI = "\<Esc>]12;green\x7"
> >    let &t_EI = "\<Esc>]12;red\x7"
> > endif
>
> I tried that with both the default colour scheme and my own, which is
> optimized for my code bashing with syntax highligting.  I find it
> still hard to immediately find the cursor when there are scads of
> windows with syntax highlighting, and often with search highlighting.
> This is with cursorline and cursorcolumn enabled.  They are dark olive
> background (my default background is dark blue), so muted enough not
> to distract, but present when I need to align things.  Mutedness
> serves its purpose, but this is at odds with screaming "here is the
> cursor".
> > I find that with my eyes broadly focused on the whole monitor, such
> > motion is immediately detected.
>
> I suspect that our vim app window looks *very* different.

Indubitably. I turned on syntax highlighting once. Never again.
(Couldn't read my code until it was off.) <Shudder>
When needing to confirm a matching brace, I just whack %, or watch the
cursor flick on closing brace insertion, with "showmatch" set.

ISTM very intuitive that compounding excessive layers of highlighting
results in no net highlighting, after a point. Failure of efforts to lay
it on thicker seems to confirm that. (Though a blinking cursor might be
a last gasp in that direction. :-)

Erik