On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 10:23:57 AM UTC-5, Amit Christian wrote:
> I came across this webpage
> (http://vimcasts.org/blog/2013/02/habit-breaking-habit-making/), which
> recommends to stop using j,k,h,l and arrow keys and promote use of other more
> efficient keys to browse through the code. I am intermediate level of Vim
> user.
>
> I have disabled (temporarily) the use of j, k, h, l (using HardMode vim
> plugin). It has been a little challenge to work with the code since then. But
> I know it will help me to be more efficient with Vim.
>
> - I have so far used, w, b, e, ge etc to move around the lines.
> - Also have been using f + character to move through the line.
> - And have been using little bit of marks and / search to find through the
> code.
>

> Here is my question:
>
> I find it still difficult to go to next lines or browsing up or down through
> the text. Can any one please help me with efficient use of working with text
> without a usual j,k,h,l use? Are there resources or help on internet? What
> are your strategies to work with text?
>
> Thank you for your time and reading this.

I think my decision about disabling hljk (even temporarily) may not be good. I
userstand that it is not recommended to disable an inbuilt capability. But In
my case, I am just getting used to many other motion keys.

As I pointed out, I am beginner/intermediate level vim user. Still learning to
get around things. I have already learned a lot from this forum. Thank you all
for it.

Here are some of takeaways so far (for me).

 - Use <number>jkhl,w,e,b,ge etc.
 - Use relative numbers.
 - Use easymotion plugin. (which is pretty awesome!)
 - Use / for search. Start using marks for quick yanking/delete. (for example,
to copy a block, mark at the start (ma). Go to end of the block, type y'a to
copy, or d'a to delete.
  - Use control+o in insert mode. (e.g. control+o+3j) etc

Please share any other tips/suggestions you may have. Thanks.