Ben Fritz wrote:
I'm not quite sure I understand why you need another top-level application window.
----
   Because it makes editing easier.  I want to be able to
rearrange the windows with a mouse -- drag them.  I want to be able
to drag a tab from one window to another.  These are all simple actions
that have existed for over a decade in browsers.
   Creating "auto-commands" to resize windows as I enter them is
not something I can do just by dragging.  I'd have to write custom
scripts to handle windows in various ways.  Having to write
custom scripts to create custom windows is not something I want to
spend my time doing when I could just press a key to open a tab
in a new window.
From your description I think you may want to open a new tab on the first file with ":tab sp" and then ":vsp other_file" to get both files in one tab page (and you'll still have both files in the previous tab pages as well). When you're done, ":tabclose" and you're back to where you started.
----
   Tab sp/vsp/what?  I don't want to try to type & split -- I want
to use a mouse.  That's a more logical action for what I'm talking about.
How would I tell it to open a tab upward and to the right of the main
window above a TTY window?
   I don't want to be constrained on how I open windows or their
geometry.  I want to be able to stagger them -- diagonally or
side-by-side or over each other.  Managing 10-12 files using a
keyboard-only is way too much typing -- that I can't do as fast
as moving something with a mouse.
   Due to nerve damage I don't type as fast as I used to.  This
is an ease-of-use issue -- I don't want to control windows with
a keyboard.  I want to control windows and their position w/a
mouse and reserve typing for content in the windows.  That's the
bottom line -- I want to control window positions and visibility
with a mouse -- not a keyboard.

   Using a keyboard to navigate around a desktop is a royal pain.
That's what a mouse is for.

   As I asked above in opening a new vim-view above a tty window.
How do you intersperse output from different applications with
vim if vim is all 1 window?

   As I mentioned starting out -- this is a GUI issue -- where
one uses a mouse to control window positions. I want vim to be
able to use the window manager to manage windows so I can
have windows of other applications interspersed.

   You can't do that when vim is one large block covering most
of the screen.