Jacky Liu wrote:
Just in case, you know that the split columns and lines in Gvim can be dragged by mouse right? And this is still not what you want ?
Thanks Jacky, but no.  I _do_ use that to adjust the
split lines after the split, but just now, I was editing
2 files (C++ & header: file.cc + file.h).  They were each
in a tab with line numbering + fdc=1 turned on and each
had 80 columns for the text. (I try to keep my windows
sized @ 80 columns so I know when I enter code, where it
is going to wrap).

I was switching back and forth adding some code, then realized
something was inconsistent, so now I want to see them side by
side.

If I could drag a tab out and have it display itself in a new
window, that'd be great -- 2 windows side-by-side, each
80-text columns wide.

If I used a vertical split, first problem is I have 2 vertical
panes with the same file.  How do I switch?  If I click on the
other tab, it switches to the ".h" file & 1 vertical tab. So first I need to figure out how to get my 2nd file into
one of the vertical tabs (the other tab would have my .cc file).

Now say I have different files in each vertical column --
but now the vertical columns are 38 columns wide each, right?

Line numbers are taking 3 columns, fdc is taking 1 column,
so splitting the text window (80 columns, but reserving 4
columns for the 2nd vertical pane's numbers+fdc), gives
me 76 text columns so 38 columns each (maybe more if
window decorations take up space).

Then I need to move the split-marker to center --
not the easiest thing to eyeball.

That takes time and alot of work just to get the files displayed
side-by-side.
When I'm done, I need to undo all those window size changes and
put the 2nd file back in its tab.

I wouldn't know how to begin to do that all by keyboard.

The easiest thing I end up doing now is quiting and editing
the files separately (and they both automatically come up
the right size).

Do you see how that can be a major time waste and hassle, vs.
dragging out the tab and either having it auto-spawn a window
if dropped, or into a 2nd window, if I need to have one open
first.

Using only the keyboard, I don't think it would be easy to do
quickly -- if it could be done at all.