On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 2:10:44 AM UTC-5, tu...@posteo.de wrote:

> Suppose this "steep learning curve" would be a graph
> in the mathematical sense -- I would think, that
> the X-axis represents t (time) and the Y-axis represents
> the amount of knowledge k in turn.
>
> With this setuo a steep curve would imply, that mu knowledge about
> for example vim would increase more in a shorter period of
> time than with other tools with a flat learning curve which does not
> reaches that high values for Y....notepad for example.
>
> Why is this taken as a negative feature?

The idea is that for tools that *don't* have a steep curve, you can ease into
the tool, slowly picking up knowledge as you go. So the curve of your knowledge
over time is a gradual increase, as you slowly learn more and more about how to
be effective.

Tools with a "steep" learning curve are basically useless until you meet a
certain level of proficiency. A user jumping into Vim with no prior exposure
won't even know how to insert text or quit the editor, for example. Moving
around takes a lot of getting used to. Advanced editing features that actually
make it worthwhile to use Vim, such as text objects and syntax highlighting,
aren't immediately available either.

It's not that you're *able* to learn a lot quickly, it's that you're *forced*
to learn so much before becoming productive, that makes a "steep leaning curve"
into a negative.