Tony, hi

ok, thanks.  I can use 0 v $ y.  But V y is handy/quick ...
Inside of vim its all great, V works perfectly - its just I wanted to
automatically remove the last newline from "* if possible,
so that a V y and then outside of vim paste doesn't have the extra newline.
I just wondered if I could regex trim the last newline of "* or of "a and
put it into "*

thanks always for your help,
-m