I tried building the latest VIM on a Ubuntu system, and it worked, except...
I followed the instructions on the VIM page, which consists of 3 steps:
1) git clone http://...2) cd vim/src3) make

This worked, and 8 minutes later, I had a new vim executable.  However, I
noticed that the first thing the "make" did was to run the usual "configure"
script, which is good, but the thing is, I usually like to pass some args to
"configure", such as setting the "prefix" to something under my $HOME (so that
I can later do "make install" without "sudo")
I also noticed that the resulting binary did not include the GUI.  Now, I think
that VIM without a GUI is virtually useless (Yes, I know, some people may
disagree with this, but that's irrelevant).  The version of VIM that is already
installed on my system (which is old) is the "gtk3" version, and I would like
the new version to also be GTK3.  Note that installing Vim9 from a repo is not
an option here; I need to compile it myself.
Now, I figured out that if I do:
1) make distclean2) ./configure ...3) make
It will re-do the make, using the version of the configure stuff that I ran
manually (i.e., it won't run it again).  This is good.  However, despite trying
several times, I was not able to make a GUI version of Vim9.  (I keep getting
the error message "GUI not enabled at compile time")
Therefore, my questions and comments are:
1) Can someone give me a good list of all the dependencies and packages that I
need to install on my Ubuntu 18.04 (Yes, I know that is old, but that also
cannot be changed) system so that I can build a GTK3 version of Vim9? (N.B.
This is the most important paragraph of this post; everything else is just
information!)
2) I hate the fact that it goes ahead and builds it (which takes a non-trivial
amount of time and computing resources - as I said, about 8 to 10 minutes) even
though the resulting file is junk (useless).  I know that Vim is not alone in
this behavior - other modern programs are like this - where if they figure out
that you don't have the necessary dependencies installed, they go ahead and
silently fail (i.e., build an output file that is junk).  I wish there were a
way - a ./configure option - that would tell it to fail immediately if it is
not going to work.
Note: I was using the ./configure option: --enable-gui=gtk3I also tried adding:
--with-x
Note that when I added those options, it did make the resulting file much
larger (18 meg vs only 3 meg originally), but it still refused to run the GUI.