On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 7:34:44 AM UTC-6, Pizzaboy192 wrote:

> Has anyone successfully run a modern 68Pin SCSI drive in a vintage Mac?
> I've got about 50 from old servers at work, varying in size from 3GB up to
> 72GB and most still work.

Yes, many people have done this, including adapting the 80 pin SCA drives,
which are wide just like a 68 pin drive, but use a connector meant for
server applications and convenient for hot-plugging.

However....

In order to do it right, you must get an adapter which includes a provision
to terminate the upper data byte.   If you do not, then the upper data byte
on the drive connector will not be terminated and while this often does not
cause problems, it is not correct SCSI configuration.

SCSI voodoo does not happen because SCSI does not work when it should.
SCSI voodoo happens because often SCSI still works, when it should not.

Anyway, the $3 adapters don't have any provision on them for termination.
The adapters with termination are typically closer to $20.   This doesn't
make much sense, because its just the addition of some resistor packs.   If
they can sell the cheaper adapters for $3, then terminated adapters
shouldn't cost more than $10.

We had a long discussion about this over on 68kmla.org some years ago.
Some stuff became inaccessible after the latest forum update, and that
discussion might be old enough to have been vulnerable, so I can't
guarantee it's still accessible.

Jeff Walther

Jeff Walther

---