>Stripped down
> versions often came with answering machines for
> remote control, those were popular with hackers since
> with a little work they could do the same things
> as the more expensive DTMF dialers. :)

These "tone diallers" were/are also popular with what alot of people call
'hackers' as some types (most notoriously the Radio Shack ones) can be
re-crystalled and then used to defraud the coin tolling system used in
American payphones. Such a modified device is called a "red box".

Unfortunately, the 'bot doesn't respond to DTMF tones, rather it responds to
single and compund tones in the 1000-2800Hz range. If I can find a tone
generation util, I'll try it, otherwise I'll just have to substitute my PC's
Creative AWE-32.

Also, IIRC, HyperCard 1.(something) could also be used to dial a phone
number directly trough the modem. In this case you could hook up your rotary
phone (Geez, I'm 18 and I remember these) and your Plus' modem in series and
enjoy Mac controlled DTMF. Neat.

Cheers,
Adam.