One thing I find is that alot of ISPs have a habit of claiming they dont
support a product just because their either #1 had to make certain
agreements with microsoft for things like priority listings in the IE ISP
listings, or #2 just dont feel like supporting it because they consider it
too small of a market to care about.

In general, 99% of the ISPs use POP3 (Post Office Protocol v3) for
incoming e-mail, and SMTP (simple mail transport protocol) for outgoing
mail.  Means any standards complaint program works perfectly fine with
their services.  In fact, AOL is the only major ISP which does not support
POP3/SMTP...  The Mac is very good about supporting standards :-)

Educating their tech support staff to the fact that its rather simple to
give basic support to people with 'non-standard' e-mail programs and the
various terms the programs like to use goes a long way.

Here are some things to associate with one another...

Incoming mail: POP3, mail host, POP server, POP host

Outgoing mail: SMTP, mail relay host, relay host, SMTP relay, SMTP host,
outbound mail server

Now, then there is the less known IMAP, which is another issue.  Most ISPs
do not enable this function, as it carries certain security risks.

I work for an ISP, so if you want some help getting setup, let me know...
Also, if you want a free POP3/IMAP account, let me know, I always like
supporting my fellow mac users :-)

Brian Bruns
SOSDG - Summit Open Source Development Group
http://www.2mbit.com
ICQ: 8077511