on 8/29/01 2:07 PM, Amber Rhea at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> on 8/29/01 12:08 PM, (Vintage Macs) at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today I got an email from one "Steven Pinette" entitles "Dialog letter
>> june". The text of this letter reads:
>>
>> "
>> Hi! How are you?
>>
>> I send you this file in order to have your advice
>>
>> See you later. Thanks
>> "
>>
>> Rather lame English, huh?
>>
>> Examination of the attached "letter" reveals it to be a file entitled
>> "Dialog letter june.doc.pif".  On a MSDOS/Windows PC, the .pif extension
>> identifies a file as being a "Program Information File", that is a file that
>> provides Windows with instructions to run a given DOS program, and the
>> parameters with which to do so.  I'd be willing to bet that in this case,
>> the PIF file instructs the PC to run, say "format c: /q y". In another words
>> this is undoubtably a trojan of some sort.
>>
>> The reason I'm mentioning this on the list, is because I use this email
>> address exclusively for list correspondence and eBay sales, so there is a
>> fair chance that a malicious user could be harvesting email addresses from
>> these lists in some lame attempt to be some sort of cYb3r733r0r1s7 just like
>> in the newspapers. This thing won't affect Macs, but I'm not the only one
>> who uses a PC here so look out.
>>
>> Anyone who wants a forward of this email is welcome to it.
>
> I'm surprised you haven't gotten it sooner or at least HEARD of it before
> now. It's the Sircam virus that everybody's been whining about. I have
> gotten it about four times. And I just sit back and feel very smug and
> superior, since I use a Mac and am therefore immune.

I wanted to get some Sircam stuff so that I could feel the same way. Not a
single frickin attachment. Either I have no friends, or everyone I know is
smart enough to realize what a virus is. :)

"Let's see, do I know anyone who forms sentences like 'I send you this file
in order to have your advice.'?"

--
Alex Allee       [EMAIL PROTECTED]