> >Do we have any clue where the 'other' market is ...
> the one that _is_
> >willing to pay $60 for this FPU?

Embedded systems*. Lots of that stuff made new but
still using generations old chips because they
don't need all that processing oopmh.

*Especially if goverment (taxpayer) money is buying
the things!

I've talked with some embedded systems types who
were lamenting that so many of the "old line" chips
have been phased out, forcing them to use stuff with
100x the power they actually need. Even 80486 based
PC-104 bus SBC (single board computer) stuff is
getting hard to find. (I dunno if AMD still makes
their Elan series with the 5x86 core and a ton of
"peripheral" stuff all on the same chip.)

But if they're willing to jump on a different wagon,
PIC based stuff like the BASIC Stamp can do what
they used to do with the old motorola and x86
embedded systems chips. :)

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"