http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1347221.html?page=2
This gets pretty anal - important part is pulling the
car up square to the wall on a level surface - for
years I've used a nearby brick building on a paved lot
(the bricks make it easy to discern tiny differences).
Do check with yourself in the driver's seat,
especially if you're usually the only occupant at
night. You may want to go for a spin or two on a dark
street for a "reality check" before you decide you're
done.