I did notice that 'indexing pin' on the pre 67 shifters.

       I think that is what keeps them from rotating. The post 68 ones can be
rotated as you mentioned.

       So for fitting the chromed example Id have to cut n file.......now Id
put that on the back burner, unless I experiment with a spare tunnel rod.

       This also means Id have to go the same route to fit the pre 67 shift
lever onto the rag. Or maybe go on treasure hunt and change the tunnel rod to
an earlier item. If Im really lucky Id find the pre 67 bus nosecone too. I
think thats a better option.

Asad