From: vintagvw-boun...@lists.sjsu.edu
[mailto:vintagvw-boun...@lists.sjsu.edu] On Behalf Of Bert Knupp
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:04 AM
To: Vintage VW Group
Subject: [vintagvw] Conversion to disk brakes

Volks,

The European-delivered 1968-on 1300 and 1500 beetles came standard with
front disk brakes; the USA models didn’t get them until later.  I’m
considering converting my 1970’s front stock drums to the closest
approximation of Euro stock disks that I can get.  Several questions.

Mid-America offers a “Standard Beetle Conversion” kit (their No. 301-911)
for $369, including new rotors and calipers, reconditioned spindles, and new
wheel bearings, hardware and seals.  They also have some other conversion
options, including some with drop spindles, etc. (that I don’t want).

I’d like to hear from anybody who’s tried this.  (a)  Would this be the best
counterfeit of factory-stock front disks?  Are there better kits out there
for a “stock conversion”?   (b)  Is it an easy conversion, as the catalog
suggests?  (Is it a “driveway job” would be my question.)  (c)  What effect
do they have on performance?  (d)  Does anybody have a better
recommendation?  I’m open to ideas… .

Bert Knupp in Music City USA

          __n|_
      °(_____)º