Volks,

A couple of weeks ago I asked for help:  How do I fix broken-out clip holes
in VW fiberboard door panels?

I got a number of great responses (thanks, guys).  But my neighborhood
hardware guy found a magical cure.

It's called KwikWood -- Wood Repair Epoxy Putty.  It's made by the makers of
J-B Weld.  It's like Plastic Wood on steroids.  Unlike J-B Weld, which is
steel powder in epoxy, this stuff is microfine sawdust in epoxy.

It's a kneadable binary epoxy putty, formed in a brown stick with a white
"core" through it.  You slice a little slab off the stick (I used a razor
blade), then knead it together until it's a uniform tan.  Pulling up the PVC
door covering to expose the naked fiberboard, you fill in the broken-away or
crumbled-away spots around the hole with your wood putty.  I first covered
it with some nonstick paper on both sides, then made a "sandwich" between
two flat pieces of metal, then clamped it firmly together.  After about
20-25 minutes of setup, I removed the clamp and the covering and neatly
re-cut out the hole with a sharp knife tip, scraped away any unwanted
surplus (the stuff is still workable at that point), and set the panel aside
to cure.  By the next morning the panel and the hole are as solid as
hardwood, smooth, and hold the clip just right.  I re-glued the PVC
upholstery covering and inserted the steel door-upholstery spring clip.  It
holds perfectly, and it's invisible from the covering side.

A stick of the stuff cost me $4.95 at my neighborhood hardware store.  It
should last forever.

You didn't ask, but I had to brag ...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bert Knupp in Sunny Music City