I used to really like Bug Out in Manassas, VA, but I'm a little biased
because it was run by my high school shop teacher. Haven't been in quite
some time. I'm not even certain it's still happening. Google's cache seems
to hint that it's moved to Petersburg, VA, but the actual webpage seems
somewhat defunct. It may be a bit much of trip for you, anyway, especially
with having to cross through the Appalachians.