Guys,

Ahhh...the good old days.

Kirin, I turned my first VW in about 1970. Friend had one that mad bad noises and then wouldn't start. Went to the bank, borrowed $100.00 and bought it from him.

Took the engine out, took inside on the kitchen floor and took off one of the heads...just picked one. Inside #3 cylinder was the infamous
pict carb accelerator pump injection tube(brass thank godness).

Picked it out cleaned up a little and then put it back together.

Tote the engine back out, put in the car and drove the daylights out of it for several days. Sold it for $350 I think.

Paid the banker off in less than 3 weeks and he was delighted...turned out I did so much VW business with him he just told me to start having people draft on him for the cars I bought. This was in the good old days when you actually knew your banker.

I did a *lot* of that type of fixing. Turns out there was a place over in Ft. Worth with nothing but wrecked VW's for cheap. Some were not too bad and could be fixed up in order to make a little money.

My best one was a lateish model KG *convertible*. Fanciest Vw I had been in up to that point. Top had been ripped pretty badly but amazingly it was really nice otherwise. Went to the vw junkyard, bought a whole new top in one piece and just literally bolted it in. I made an astounding(for the times) $1,000 off of that deal. Astounding cause I lived in a slum house(while going to college) and was paying $50 a month for rent. Cost me more for gas to keep it warm than for rent.

Yes, we want to know what was in the cylinder!

Cheers, dave