I always start with confidence and enthusiasm. I loosely install the heater
boxes to allow lots of wiggle room. Then the flat gaskets are slipped over
the head bolts and the fiber donut with concave metal washers are
pused onto the heat exchanger. That's when the trouble begins. I don't
think I have ever successfully joined the muffler (or header)  to the heat
exchanger. Those clamp halves don't want to hug the muffler, the fiber
donut, and the washer together. Something wants to slip out. Sometimes it
works out with no leaks but it is never pretty, and I put on my first
muffler in 1988.  Should I be modifying the clamps to make them fit better
or should I weld on flanges and give up on the old school method? Is there
a better version of the old-style clamps out there?

My 1915cc engine is back in the '71 Super Beetle with Dual IDFs. I need to
work out the fuel system (tank, fuel line, fuel pump). Then more things to
take care of because the car has been sitting for so long, brakes and
lights need to be checked etc.

Hope you all are well, keeping safe and busy.
Dean Johnson
WIlliamson, NY (Rural NY amoungst the apple orchards)

--
Visit the VintagVW archives at
http://www.mail-archive.com/vintagvw@googlegroups.com