NQ,

From a 50 year IT perspective I suspect it was moved over to googlegroups
so that it was free. No servers to worry about and if emails that are flowing thru this group get the same scan as all gmail messages then it
is pretty safe.

The admin side of it is probably pretty easy and straightforward as long
as someone still has the credentials.

Finding who "owns" the group might be difficult but not impossible.

this page might be helpfull.
https://support.google.com/groups/#topic=9216

Cheers, dave