Oh thank goodness you're still here John!  I was wondering if you might
have left us so I'm really glad that is not the case!

First off, do you know why I can't reply to any messages from within the
google groups interface itself?  I'm assuming it has something to do with
security on the list and preventing spam.  I'm now starting to get messages
at my other email address so I'm assuming that Nick Stokes (the vw radio
guy) is starting to get them as well.  I suppose it's a bit of shock to see
the last message come through June of 2020 and then bam - a year and half
later have the list awaken again and start seeing activity come through on
the group!

It seems we will have a small die-hard group that would like to the list to
continue.  I'm not a big fan of the google infrastructure myself, but just
because I don't like it doesn't mean that it can't serve a useful purpose
for others.
I really liked the old listserv and the ease by which people could join and
unsub and you could do it without having to have a gmail account.  It looks
like listproc is opensource and requires a linux box to get it working.  I
think the saddest part is the old sjsu address which is still to this day
slathered all over online as the place to go subscribe to the vintagvw list
at.  I don't know that anyone who searches for the listserv would rightly
know where to go.  We just happen to know because we were on the list at
the time.

I do find this google groups interface to be a bit more difficult to
navigate.  I miss just having individual emails show up in my box and being
able to reply.  Since my email is aliased through my Internet Provider, if
I subscribe to anything, the conflict between my root account and aliased
one causes the server to reject my messages.  So then I have to log into my
webmail interface in order to get a post through.  I'm still using a
outlook express - hacked to work on Windows 7.  I have a Windows 10
machine, but it sits dormant most of the time while I enjoy getting by on
as old of an O.S. as I can.

I can understand why you chose google groups.  For as semi-dead as the list
is, it makes you wonder if it's worth putting any more effort into it.  So
much has switched to facebook and thesamba and a plethora of other sites,
but still I must admit that I like the purity of a listserv - no pictures,
no html, and overall it takes a bit of an effort and technie know-how to
just get signed up in the first place.  If you're that sharp that you can
understand how it works, then maybe you're worth talking to - LOL!

I gotta get to work, but thanks for jumping in and letting us know you're
here.  I'm willing to help in whatever capacity I can.  My wife and I live
in the country and we had to set up our own private wifi network to get the
internet we want, but I have the option of setting up a server at the host
site, but of course nothing is as robust and utilizing something that is
already online with the caveat being that you don't have full control.

Keep the ideas rolling everyone.

NQ