Hi

You may want to enable containers in the rotor, I am not sure if it will help
much but if you want to use gestures to move around the screen then this will
at least expand your options. I can't remember if it is enabled by default.
Whilst in your mail, use the rotor gesture and see if containers is an option.
If it is then great, experiment with it. If not, go into your accessibility
settings and into VO then go to the rotor settings and add containers. Oh by
the way, containers lets you jump between the major sections of the screen with
a single finger swipe down/up.
Personally though I use a similar method as already described by the others.
With the iPad, it is really worth some time in exploring exactly where on the
screen each thing is and then just touch the screen there to move focus.

I will sometimes swipe between the move, delete and reply buttons in the mail
app but otherwise I prefer to look for what I want by dragging.

Hope this helps.

Garth.