From: "Jon Pierson" <joncpier...@gmail.com>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:52 PM
Subject: The Rotor, a possible replacement gesture

Hi,
I have watched many people having inconsistent results using the rotor and I
myself have not had the silly thing act the same way from session to
session. Now maybe it's something with the callouses on my abused fingers
but for whatever reason, I have not found rotoring to be to my liking, until
today!

I was wondering first of all how much spacing between the fingers was
possible and apparently the answer is, a lot.

What I have found most useful now, and this does work on any of the phone's
edges so that portrait or landscape modes shouldn't affect this methid, is
to use two fingers near the edges of the screen. Pretend the phone has a set
of railroad tracks on it and that each of your fingers represents a traing
going in the opposite direction.
As long as both fingers move, the gesture seems to be picked up
consistently.

I just tried this way of changing rotor settings with a person who swore
that rotoring was never going to be a useful gesture because of the
frustration it seems to bring to many novice IOS/VO users and the result was
that all of the rotor's settings changed correctly on the first and every
try.

So maybe some folks want to give this method a try and hopefully the results
will be as rewarding as they have been here so far.
Now I may have to try that pinching gesture folks talk about next.

Jon