I settled on the same strategy for handling email myself. Another nice
thing about rules, is that you can run them manually. In other words,
you can set up a rule to send all of the email from a given list or from
a bug tracking system to a certain folder, but you don't have to run
this rule automatically. When you want to process those messages, you
can just run the rule that one time and then go in and handle those
messages later. I did this with rules in Thunderbird, but I assume you
can do the same thing with Gmail.

Of course, this is what works for me. I'm not saying it's what works for
everyone.

On 08/06/12 11:07, Wayne Merritt wrote:
> I have between 5800 and 6000 messages in my Gmail system, nearly all
> of which have some sort of label attached to them, and many messages
> have more than one label to make them easier to find. Labels are the
> bomb in Gmail! Early on I chose to set the filter and label for a
> group of messages, like a mailing list, but have them go to the Inbox.
> I found over time that I was not reading messages that came in with a
> certain filter. If you're subscribed to many lists and don't stay on
> top of it, the amount of email can quickly get out of hand. So I
> prefer to have messages go to the Inbox, even if they do have a label
> on them, and then decide what to do with them from there. This has
> helped to make managing mail lots easier for me.
>
> Regards,
> Wayne
>
> On 6/4/12, Scott Howell <scottn3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes setting up the rules is pretty easy.
>>
>> On Jun 3, 2012, at 6:53 PM, Kirsten Edmondson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Scott,
>>> Perhaps slightly off-topic, but is it easy to set up filters etc in Gmail?
>>> Reply off list if more appropriate.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail