Grant if you have not dropped the devs a note I would encourage you to do so.
There must surely be something going on because if taking pictures works well
then there seems to be little reason the app cannot identify money. Have you
tried removing and reinstalling the app? I have no idea if this would help, but
may be worth trying. For me the identification happens very quickly and I have
used the app with an iPhone 4 and 4S. This is a curious issue.