I like the suggestion of making the speed control a picker, this would be nice.
Although I find that the double tap and hold to bring up the full list of
options in downcast a good way of getting to the speed you want fairly quickly.
On the comparison between downcast's and iCatcher's top speed, I did do a
little testing a while back to see since to me they sounded pretty much the
same. At the time I started the same podcast on both my iPad and iPhone, one in
each app and found that they stayed fairly well in sync, one at 2X and the
other at 3X.

You might ask what prompted me to waste my time doing this :)  I think at the
time I was just thinking to myself that 3x on downcast didn't really sound any
quicker than 2x on iCatcher and I just had to find out. Now I really might get
around to seeing exactly how long it does take me to listen to an hour long
show. I would tell myself to get a life if I wasn't already to busy to fit one
in LOL

Garth