Hi,

For what it's worth there is actually some merrit behind this advice.
Remember that changes in temperature cause things to expand /
contract. If we look at a chip that's been soldered onto a PCB for
example, leaving the device containing said PCB in a cold environment
for an extended period of time may cause the PCB to become slightly
deformed, which may result in one of the legs of the chip not making
an overly good connection, in turn causing the device to malfunction.

Cheers,
Ben.