Thanks to all who responded. I knew I could depend on this group for good
information.
Marie

From: Woody Anna Dresner
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:40 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Passcodes and touch ID

Hi Marie,

You have the option Simple Passcode, which you can turn on or off. If it’s on,
your passcode needs to be 4 numbers. If it’s off, you can use letters and/or
numbers. I don’t remember the minimum and maximum number of characters you can
use. If you use a simple passcode, you’ll enter it, and the phone will unlock.
With the more complex ones, you have to press Enter after typing it in, since
the system doesn’t know how many characters you will enter.

You’re right that you still have to enter your passcode after restarting your
phone. You also have to enter it the first time you buy something in the app
store after restarting it.

There’s no time limit on entering your passcode, except that if you do nothing
for a few seconds, the screen locks, just as it does if you press the Home
button and do nothing. You can configure the phone so that if you enter the
passcode incorrectly 10 times in a row, the phone wipes your data. This is
meant to deter criminals from trying lots of passwords to get in.

HTH,
Anna