It's by design. You must also enter your passcode if you have not unlocked your phone in a 48 hour period.

On 15/04/2015 05:16, Tom Lange wrote:
Hi,
I have a simple numeric pascode for my iPhone 6, and I've set it up to use both
my thumbprint and a fingerprint for ITunes and App Store purchases.  Haven't
figured out yet why I can't use my thumbprint or fingerprint when powering up
the phone. Is that by design, or did I screw up when setting up the pascode? I
really like the idea of not having to enter a numeric code when booting up the
phone.

BTW, using my fingerprint when purchasing at the app store is great, probably
too easy, in fact.

Tom

   ----- Original Message -----
   From: Christopher J Chaltain
   To: viphone@googlegroups.com
   Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:39 PM
   Subject: Re: Passcodes and touch ID

   The default passcode is simple, which is four numbers. You can change this
allowing for a longer numeric passcode. When you hit the power button, you'll
get a standard numeric keypad where you can enter your passcode. As far as I
can tell, once you start entering your code, you can take as long as you want.
I don't know how long the keypad will stay on the screen if you don't start
entering anything.