Thank you so much. I'm definitely going to wait. I'm thinking of reducing my
current cable subscription down tremendously after getting the apple tv.

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 11:12 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Apple Tv

Nobody knows which if any of the new features will be supported by the third
generation Apple TV. It is likely that one of the big features will be an app
store for the Apple TV which allows you to install apps which third party
developers will make. These could be anything from games to apps from
organisations like CNN or BBC to apps from music services like Spotify, Deezer
and so on. This will hugely enhance the functionality and usefulness of the
Apple TV since it of course is logical that you may want to play content from a
music service or news organization via your TV or sound system the Apple TV is
attached to. Of course the app store may be supported by the third gen Apple
TV, but nobody can say for sure.
Another expected enhancement to the Apple TV is SIRI integration and control.
My guess is that you will be able to talk to the Apple TV via the remote and
tell it to open a certain app or play something etc. I highly doubt that the
third gen Apple TV which is already 3-year old hardware will be able to support
this.
Next is the upcoming offering of a subscription based TV service. Once again,
maybe this will be supported or maybe not.
One should keep in mind that while the second gen Apple TV still can play
Netflix and a bunch of the existing channels, it does not even have Youtube
support any more. This quietly disappeared a few months ago.
Lastly there is the expected integration and support of many connected home
automation devices like thermostats, lights, locks and so on. You may not have
these now, but such devices will be the norm rather than the exception in the
coming years.

I think in general that it is simply a bad idea to rush out and buy an Apple TV
now even though it may only be $50 especially because we already know from
rumours that a new Apple TV maybe announced as soon as September 9. That is
only 3 weeks away and within another week or so we probably know for sure if
Apple is sending out invites for a September 9 event or if it will be held a
week later. Why not wait these few weeks and see what happens, if no Apple TV
is forthcoming you can still spend your $50 in 3 weeks, but what you can
currently do with the Apple TV will not replace your existing cable
subscription.
I would give the same advice to somebody who wants to buy a new iPhone although
that is a bit different because iPhones are updated annually whereas the last
Apple TV update was 3 years ago. It is my guess that while a new Apple TV will
probably cost more than $50, it will not be hundreds of Dollars simply because
it is in Apple's interest to keep the price low so people get it and then
subscribe to channels, consume paid iTunes content or buy apps from the new
Apple TV app store which of course will generate a new source of income for
Apple.

Best regards,