I also sometimes get this bug. It isn't constant that it completely crashes
voiceover. Sometimes, it will just be sluggish and then it will come back.
Other times, I have to triple tap the home key to turn voiceover off and then
triple tap it again to turn it back on in order for me to regain speech. I'm
using a 5S.

Kellie and my lovable Lady J
Sent from my iPhone