Hi,
this is not normal behavior. Are you using the Apple charging cable, if so it
should charge no matter the position. Is this with the wall charger, I would
try a hard reset and see if that gets it working.... A hard reset will not
erase content or settings, simply refreshes the operating system. Hold the wake
sleep button and home button for about 7 seconds to do a hard reset. Try
another cable if you have a space, or better yet take it to apple if it is
new... position. I have not had this problem using Apple and Amazon Basics
cables.If the phone is in a case, try

Regards,
Feliciano
For tech tips and updates,