Hello Sarai,

I am sorry you have had difficulty in using Apple Pay.  Rest assured that once
you get the hang of it, it will quickly become your payment method of choice.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind when using Apple Pay.  First,
because of various security policies, some vendors require that either you or
the cashier confirm the payment, by tapping a soft-button on the terminal,
after initiating Apple Pay.  This is usually not the case but, in the case of
some vendors, it is.

Second, if you recently rebooted the phone, you must first enter your unlock
password in order to use both either the phone or Apple Pay.

So, having said this, when you're ready to use Apple Pay and assuming all is
well with your preferred credit card and, that you only have one credit card on
file for use with Apple Pay:

1.
Wait until the cashier tells you that the system is ready to accept payment.
You may also ask the cashier if he/she is ready to accept payment.

2.
With the phone locked, that is to say, with the screen turned off, place your
finger, which you use to unlock iPhone, on the HOME button as you move the
device to within 2 inches of the terminal transmitter.  Be certain not to
depress the HOME button, just keep your finger on top of it until you feel a
double-vibration.

3.
At this point, the transaction should be complete, however, at certain
locations, a message will pop-up on the vendor's terminal display requiring you
to confirm the purchase.  In such an instance, someone will need to tap that
button in order to complete the transaction.

Finally, and I cannot underscore this enough, it is extremely important that
you place iPhone to within 2 inches of the terminal transmitter in order to
initiate payment.  Some people think that just because the credit card pops up
on the phone's display, that the transaction is in progress.  It is not.  If
the phone is not close enough, even though the display is awake, the
transaction will not be initiated.

Oh, while it is not necessary for the phone to first be locked in order to use
Apple Pay, I find that first time users of the payment method do better when
beginning the transaction from that state.

Good Luck,

Mark