Hi Michael,

Excuse me if I disagree with your statement that they have made the CBC News
app marvelously accessible.
In fact, I think the CBC News app leaves much to be desired with respect to
accessibility especially in one main area and that is actually reading the
articles which of course happens to be where I would want good accessibility
the most.
It's relatively easy to swipe through the articles although sometimes you get
bounced around in the list a fair bit. After I double tap on an article I can
touch near the bottom of the phone and Voiceover tells me I'm in the Main Body
of the story and it starts reading it. This is where the trouble starts because
I pretty much have to listen to it from start to finish because there is no way
to swipe sentence by sentence or even to turn the rotor to lines and read line
by line. You can do characters and words, but who wants to do words if I want
to check out a passage more closely or look at the spelling of something that
is word 187 of a 200 words story. Furthermore, as Voiceover reads the main
story it also reads links to other stories which is distracting and if for some
reason the reading is interrupted by an incoming text message or push
notification I have to start all over again from the beginning since there is
no way to really stop and start again where you left off.
I can do a 2-finger tap to stop the reading and restart with another 2-finger
tap as long as it's only a few seconds later, but as soon as you wait a bit
longer or some other event happens that does not work.
How often was I listening to a long story and I was 80% done only to have to
start all over and listen to everything again just to hear the last 20%. I have
several times tried to contact the CBC about this, but as far as I can tell
there is no way to leave direct feedback for the development team, you more or
less are limited to going to the website and leave feedback via the contact us
area. I haven't done it in a while since they don't seem to be very interested
in improving the app, once I called them and had the impression that the person
I spoke to couldn't care less. I was just recently considering to get the name
of the head honcho at CBC and to write him a good old traditional letter and,
failing that, maybe submit a story to Go Public and see if they want to
investigate their own ignorance.
One other area that is hit and miss is playing videos which sometimes are part
of a story. I have more often than not come across the link to start playback
and couldn't activate it with Voiceover. I also think that I am not the only
one to complain, the app does not get very good ratings in the app store from
the general public, either.
Maybe you will say that I could always not use it, but I do use it because it
does have the content I want, but consuming that content is in my opinion not a
pleasant experience and despite the fact that the CBC has an official
accessibility statement I would call the CBC News app far from polished when it
comes to accessibility. It's useable which is probably about as far as I would
go at this point.