Although this is not exactly related to this specific issue, I have found that
trying to activate links in books using iBooks, while using a Braille display
results in VoiceOver crashes and the link is never activated.
I would be curious if anyone has had any success with speech and/or Braille
when activating links. I think this is something that needs to be brought to
APple's attention and I would encourage you to do so by e-mailing
accessibil...@apple.com.